Saturday, March 15, 2008

To Adam, on Your 1st Birthday

You joined our family exactly one year ago. I never could have imagined as I held you for the first time the amount of joy you would bring me. Those first few weeks were so difficult and I began to doubt my abilities as a mother. It took you a month or so to decide that you liked it here, outside the womb, and you turned into the happiest most joyful baby.

Every one comments on how happy you are. You smile at strangers at the store and win over grandmothers everywhere we go. I am so glad that you ended up with a happy disposition. I began to worry that I would never get out of the house again since you were unhappy anywhere accept the "cocoon" we created for you in our bedroom.


And then, when you were about two months old you decided you wanted to see the world, everything, right this minute. You were able to roll both ways by 4 1/2 months and by the time you were 5 months you were practicing yoga.


This was your pre-crawling pose. You would would go into a push-up and hold it as long as you could before collapsing . You started to pull yourself around the house by your arms when you were about six months old.

Once you were able to get around you had to touch, see and TASTE everything. You have an insatiable curiosity and it has been so fun to watch you discover the world and find pure joy in the most simple things.

You have started to talk and your favorite word is "ball". Anything remotely round is a ball. You don't say "Mama" or "Dada" yet in reference to Daddy or me but we know that you know us and love us.



You are such a social boy. You love playing with your friend Jack and your cousin Spencer. You will be playing and it will get so quiet that I'm sure you're up to something, but when I go to check on you you're quietly paging through a book.


You have begun to cherish your sleep in a way that was surely inherited from your Mama. You go to sleep without a peep most nights, which is a nice change of pace from your early months. At 10 months you finally began to sleep through the night without needing a bottle. You're Daddy was sure you'd do it on your own, I'm glad I listened to him and let you figure it out.

Your Daddy and I just love to sit and watch you play. You're fiercely independent and will often brush away a helping hand. Your independence has led to several injuries but you don't care, you simply get your hugs, get up, and move on to the next adventure. I love the way you like to be chased. If you hear me stomping behind you, you will squeal and toddle off as quickly as you can. I love the giggles of pure joy when I pop out from behind a door or a blanket. You're thrilled even though you knew I was there.

Thank you so much for being my baby, my sweetest boy. You've made me whole in so many ways. The greatest and most fulfilling accomplishment in my life is being your Mama.

8 comments:

Anna said...

That was so sweet. He is a fantastic little boy!

Amy said...

This is a beautiful tribute to a wonderful boy. We're so glad he decided to embrace life with such passion.

Veronica said...

Awe that was so sweet April! I am so happy you have him!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Adam! You are a wonderful boy. You have such a joyous spirit!!! April and Scott you are amazing parents.

Deborah said...

How nice of you to share such sweet sentiments with all of us.

Wende said...

Happy Birthday Adam! April your words are so true and made me smile. You and Scott are doing a great job.

Stephanie said...

April, that is beautiful. I love how you know every step of his life exactly. You're a good Mama!

Mary said...

I'm sitting here smiling thinking back on my own kids first birthdays. It is such a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.