Tuesday, March 4, 2008

16 and Awkward

At my book club the other night we got to talking about high school/church dances and how horrible they are for everyone except a small percentage of girls. My friend Deborah implied that I was in that percentage and was surely asked to dance all the time at these functions. Um, no. When I was 16 I was already my full height of 6 feet, but weighed a whopping 120 lbs. Nobody except a super model could pull off those proportions. I was gangly to an exponential degree. Not only was I skinny and with out any female curves, but I also towered above almost every boy. I couldn't find a picture with a boy (hmmm...I wonder why), but I did find this one of my sister and me.


This is before my junior prom. I wish I had one with my date, but I don't. He was 5'8". A confident adult woman can pull that off, I slouched, and took off my shoes.

So those women who would love to be tall and think we have it so easy, now you know. Any easiness we have as adults we paid for in high school. A lot.

12 comments:

Anna said...

Ok, so maybe being short isn't all bad - you have made me see the light. But I think just about everyone has an awkward stage and it usually strikes around the early teenage years.

Joanna said...

You look like a baby in these pictures. Now when I hear the dance stories again I will be able to imagine what you mean. I need to pull out my dance pictures.

Allison said...

classic ...

happy mom said...

Love the pictures, I guess it has only made you stronger right?

I am sorry you have been sick, that is awful. Josie has had some tough rashes, and with the finger sucking it never goes away, without perscriptions. poor guy.

Amy said...

So we shouldn't hate you because you're beautiful? :)

Amy said...

And an Amen to feeling confident and comfortable with your adult self. Your an adult way longer than a teenager.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Thank goodness we grow up. I can't even think of my hot pink with white lace on top prom dress without tasting a little throw-up in my mouth. The 80s were not kind to us. Luckily you were always gorgeous inside.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

and I wish I were 6 feet tall - really!

Deborah said...

I can't feel too sorry for you when I see those gorgeous, curly, red locks.

Carrie said...

AMEN to that! I know exactly what you mean!

Henderson said...

at 5'0" all I have to say is baahhh!

Stephanie said...

Okay April. Suck it up! At least you can gain 5-10 pounds and hide it...and still look amazing! Not the case for those of us under 5'2"...okay, under 5'. So count your blessings! I agree with Deborah. I can't feel sorry for you on this one...your just too much of a hottie now!