Friday, September 10, 2010

Paige Jacqueline

Our Dr. called at about 10am on Thursday morning to let us know they had a room for me and we could come in. I have lots of pictures of me pregnant with Adam, a few with Jane, and just this one (taken in the hospital room) of Paige. I am sure this is just the beginning of a long line of injustices she will face as our third (and perhaps final?) child.

They broke my water at around 11:30am and we walked for about 2 hours without much progress. At about 2pm we started some Pitocin to get some steady contractions. It took about two hours, but I started to have strong enough contractions that I needed to breathe through them. It was then that I asked to be checked to see if I could get an epidural. The Dr. said I was only about 4-5cm so I said I definitely wanted an epidural since I thought that it was still going to be a while before she came and I was ready for some relief. Unfortunately, it was a busy day in labor and delivery and it took the anesthesiologist 45 minutes to come. At that point the contractions were coming very close together and I was in quite a bit of pain. I was checked again and I was 8cm. There was a brief discussion between the anesthesiologist and the Dr. and it was determined that there just wasn't any time for an epidural. I was only half paying attention to these proceedings seeing as I was occupied with intense pain, when the anesthesiologist said, "Congratulations, it looks like you're about to have a baby. It was nice to meet you. Good bye!"

"Nooooooooooo!"

I turned to Scott and assertively informed him that I did not want to have this baby without an epidural. Luckily, I didn't have much time to object because in two minutes and three pushes baby Paige was on my chest wailing like a banshee. If she looks a bit beat up below it's because of her Indy 500 race down my birth canal. She literally scraped her head on my spine.


I made sure to inform her immediately that she needs to be a bit more obedient in the future. I had plans, and they included an epidural!

It wasn't long before Paige was introduced to friends and family. Jane was very excited to see her and immediately sang her "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" (being sure to give her a good jab in the eyes at the appropriate point in the song).

Grandma Dorothy:

Grandma Kim and Grandpa John:

Aunt Emily (or Aunt Mookie, as she is more affectionately called):

Adam could not get enough time holding her. Whenever someone else was holding her he wanted to know when his turn was. My favorite comment from him was, "She has teeny tiny everything!"


Grandma Kim and Adam:

Jane is very interested in Paige.


Mom of three:

I don't know how we got here, but it's going to be an interesting ride!

11 comments:

NaDell said...

Yea! Congratulations on the new little one. We are so excited for you!
Our transition to three was so easy until he was about six months old. I think life just got more busy then because Elizabeth started school and we were busy. Life has settled again and now we are expecting number four, so we'll see what this one brings.
PS. There are less and less pictures of me pregnant because I don't feel the need to take every week pictures of how chubby I am from the previous baby. I DO like them just before we leave for the hospital though.
AND I LOVE her name!

Amanda said...

Look at you going all natural! I hope my laboring progress is as fast as yours. Paige is a cutie and it's a good thing babies look adorable in hats and that scrapes and such seem to heal quickly. Congratulations to you guys. It makes me excited to see how Ethan will react to his baby sister.

Unknown said...

What a lucky babe to come into such a beautiful family!! (Scrapes and all) And you're right, it's all par for the course for #3.
I'm so happy for you all!!

Heather said...

Welcome Paige! Good Job April and Scott. She is beautiful!( just like her big brother and sister)!!!

Enjoy!

kelly said...

welcome to the thick of it my friend. i'll help you if you help me.

The Fabulous Fosters said...

You look terrific for just having had a baby. She looks sweet and has a beautiful name. You are such super parents

Seleta said...

What very exciting news! Congrats! I love the name too- just darling! I hope you are feeling well and adjusting. So excited to have another baby so close to yours! I Love it!

Anna said...

Congrats! She looks great!

Lue said...

Such a great birth story. Thanks for the posting.

Amy said...

Love the pictures.

Wende said...

Hurray for Paige - she's gorgeous! Oh, those third children. I had flashbacks of the rush to the hospital in order to avoid having Connor on the side of the road. Congrats on no epidural - I have to say, if there's going to be no drugs then make it quick!