Thursday, February 12, 2009

Something Old...

Some of you may know that my parents divorced when I was about a year old. My Dad remarried and we became part of a family of 14.


For various reasons, my Dad was awarded full custody of my brother and me. I didn't see my Mom again (outside of a courtroom) until I was 21. That day she gave me this dress.


She said she'd carried it with her every time she moved (a lot) in the hopes of giving it to me someday.


It was the dress I was blessed in as an infant. Jane will wear it this Sunday as her Dad blesses her. My Mom and I have a strained relationship, but I will be forever grateful to her for this gift. Growing up in such a large family there was nothing that was ever mine, and certainly nothing so beautiful.

I am going to take Jane tomorrow to have some pictures taken and we will have more on Sunday with family. I'll post those next week.


7 comments:

Heather said...

April... she will look beautiful. Thank you for opening up. I know how it is, literally.

Deborah said...

What a wonderful gift. I can't wait to see your pictures.

NaDell said...

That's so sweet.
Anticipating pictures....

Amy said...

Beautiful gift. Glad that Jane will be able to wear it too. Makes it even more special.

Anna said...

I am so excited to see her in it.

Joanna said...

I bet she will be beautiful! I can't wait to see her in it.

Jodie said...

What an amazing gift. I can't wait to see the pictures!!