Monday, April 7, 2008

Baltimore Children's Museum

Alas, this will be the last of my Baltimore posts. I know you all want to know more about my exotic vacation, but I can only do so much. I lead a very exciting life and don't have the time to fill in all the thrilling details. Sorry, I know you're disappointed.

Aaaanyway. We stayed right at the inner harbor and were only a few blocks from the children's museum. Adam and I checked it out and, I have to say, if you live in Rochester and have a membership to Strong Museum, you're not missing much. It wasn't as clean or as well maintained as Strong Museum. The other problem was that all of the Baltimore kids were on Spring break, so the place was packed! Poor Adam got trampled several times by gaggles of children sprinting through the place. They literally knocked him over and didn't. even. look. back.


So, I asked one of the employees if there was a place for small children where there lives and well being would be safe and she pointed me in the direction of this room. It was...okay. There was a ball pit, which Adam loved, and a little jungle gym. But other than that there were only some old books and dirty toys that were missing pieces.


Plus the fact that this room was supposed to be for kids 4 and under but parents who had older children brought them too, so Adam's well being wasn't quite as safe as I'd hoped. So, I feel like my $11 admission (Adam was free) was a waste of money. Adam was only entertained in the playroom for about 45 minutes before he went to the door and started asking for "up".

It was, however, an exercise in gratitude. I often take Strong Museum for granted. It has saved my sanity countless days by endlessly entertaining my child. For those of you who don't know Strong Museum, check out the link. I will have to post about it sometime, Heaven knows I have about a thousand pictures. I mean, they have an entire grocery store with everything from grocery carts to cash registers (REAL cash registers) and conveyor belts, all kid size. The cash registers print actual receipts, the place is amazing. Granted, Adam thinks the grapefruits are "balls" and tries to bounce them, but he'll get the idea someday and love it.

*Edit: My friend Joanna just posted about the museum. Check it out.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I seriously hope that wherever we end up has a place like the Museum.

Joanna said...

We have never set foot in any other Childrens Museum. We do love it there.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

We have a telephone museum with old phones where we live. Sure, you can't touch them, but you can look - and that's almost as fun. Lucky you guys.

Amy said...

Strong Museum is my favorite place. I don't know who loves it more; Jack or me.

Mary said...

Soak up Strong Museum. There is no other place on earth that equals its greatness. Indianapolis comes close but that's it. We MISS that place!!!!

Paul and Holly Domm said...

Strong Museum is great and I can't wait to take our little guy one day. It's true leaving makes you appreciate what you have/had.