Thursday, April 10, 2008

We Knew This Day Would Come

We've always known that Adam was the kind of kid who would see the inside of the Emergency Department several times in his childhood. We always assumed it would be for a concussion or broken bones. Well, this visit had nothing to do with his lack of danger awareness. Let me explain.


We had the missionaries over for dinner and we were eating and chatting when Adam began to cough. He coughed quite a bit and then threw up. Scott and I assumed the coughing had caused him to throw up. We cleaned him up and got him out of his highchair since he didn't seem interested in eating anymore (nobody did). When I was getting him out of his highchair I noticed a bump on his eyelid, it looked like a spider bite. Scott took him to his playroom so we could finish dinner. A couple of minutes later he called from the other room to say that it was getting worse. This is what our beautiful son normally looks like:


This is how he looked after about 5 minutes:


We still weren't too concerned as Adam is known to break out into an occasional rash, but this was fast. I called our pediatrician's after hours number and the nurse said we should take him to the E.R. At this point he looked like this:




So, yeah, she didn't need to tell me twice. It wasn't just the rash, he was drooling profusely, as you can see on his shirt. While we were driving to the E.R. I couldn't help but laugh when I looked back at him. I realized after a few minutes what he reminded me of:


I would like to point out at this juncture in the story that Adam, apart from his appearance, was completely unaffected by all of this. He couldn't have cared less. I say this lest you think I was laughing at my child while he is gasping for air and crying in pain.

Anyway, we got to the hospital and endured all of the gasps as we walked past other patients. I guess it's both good and bad when you don't have to wait at the E.R. despite a room full of other sick kids. They immediately whisked Adam to a room and gave him an epinephrine shot, a dose of Benedryl and a dose of Pregnezone.

After giving him all of that, they wanted to monitor his heart rate for a couple of hours. Adam didn't mind waiting as long as they kept giving him Pedialyte in a bottle. We didn't leave the hospital until 10 p.m.

Adam is now the proud owner of an EpiPen and we have to make an appointment with the allergist, as the E.R. doctor said, "sooner rather than later."

Good times, good times...

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Holy Cow! So scarry. I laughed so hard at the picture of the Goonies guy (can't even remember his name..sloth?) Anyway I am so glad everything is ok for now. All of my kids, but Tyler have seen the beautiful paintings by Zion in the ED!

Anna said...

First of all, that is too scary. But he seems to be happy still anyways. And second, the picture of Sloth is hilarious! Glad he's okay!

Amy said...

Glad he is all better and hope that his allergist appointment is soon. Never a dull moment.

Mary said...

Oh that poor boy! I'm amazed by how happy he looked through the whole thing. I've decided that these things take a much bigger toll on the parents than the kids. I'm so glad he's OK.

Deborah said...

What are you feeding your child?!
Those pics are amazing.

Heather said...

I was a gasp! It happened so fast! Did you find out what caused it?
Heather

Bodell said...

Wow! Poor kid! I can relate, Chelsea just had a nice allergic reaction to peanut butter this week. I don't give her peanut butter, but didn't realize she was really allergic to it. Anyway, she dipped her finger in Afton's peanut butter... rubbed her eyes... and ended up looking a lot like Adam- without the drooling. After a couple days and lot's of Benedryl, she's looking like herself again! We too have to go to the allergist, and likely keep an epi-pen on hand. Allergies are the pits!

Stephanie said...

Poor baby! Epi-pens and Benadryl are great things to have on hand! Was it a spider bite? Apparently Rochester is in need of more allergists and Buffalo is in need of more dermatologists. We had to wait 4 months for a first appointment. Good luck!