Thursday, January 31, 2008

Literary Snob

Adam is at a stage where he is doing new things all the time. Scott and I are constantly looking at each other and asking, "Where'd he learn that?" He loves being read to and has specific books that he prefers. The problem is that he literally "can't judge a book by it's cover". He will bring a book over and as you start to read it he will either get really happy and listen intently or close the book to go get another one. He'll do this until he happens upon one of his favorites.


His current favorites are "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb", "The Foot Book" or any of the "David" books. He is not so fond of "Five Little Ducks" and will close "Goodnight Moon" after he hears the first line.


Once he's found a book that he likes he will require you to read it at least five times, if not more. He lets you know he wants it read again by shoving it in your face in this manner:

After the fifth or sixth reading I have tried to subtly put the book behind my back and distract him with a new book. He's no dummy. He will reach around me, grab the book and shove it in my face. I should be glad he likes books. I will be really happy when he begins to be interested in books with an actual story. After five readings of "Brown Bear" I'm practically catatonic.

6 comments:

Mary said...

He is so cute. Snuggling up with my kids and reading is my favorite thing. It's the only time they are quiet and not fighting!!

Amy said...

Should we start a baby book club? Adam can choose the appropriate books for the other boys to read.

Anna said...

This is too funny. I think The Boy is more interested in turning pages than reading. The only one he isn't anxious to get through is "Mr. Brown Can Moo". Oh - he also hates "Goodnight Moon". : )

Joanna said...

Cooper was like that and to this day chooses reading over anything. When he was little I would find him in a corner looking at books. We can go to the park and he will sit on the bench with a book.
Adam is just darling.

happy mom said...

I am still waiting for interesting books, although they are getting better and I do enjoy it when they last a little longer and are cute. but I am not for the repetition either. We love chicka chicka boom boom, and dinosaur roar. those I can handle often. what a cute boy and he looks just like scott, doesn't he?

Stephanie said...

Are you by chance missing the Oh David book? I found one in my bag after being at Brighton Ward last weekend. I have no idea how it got there or who it belongs to. Let me know if you know someone who is missing it!