Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Exactly is Going to Happen?

I'm going to throw a hypothetical out here and see what you wise and wonderful people have to say about it.  What exactly is the big deal with leaving your kids in the car?  Let me start by saying, that I know some stupid parents have actually killed their kids by leaving them unattended on a too-hot day.  But, that kind of irresponsibility aside, what's the big deal?

If my children are buckled in their carseats, the weather is temperate and my car is off with the doors locked, what catastrophe is going to befall them while I run into the bank or the post office?  Are they going to get kidnapped?  Is someone going to break my windows, unbuckle my kids, and run off with them in the five minutes I'm gone?  All without raising any eyebrows?  If that's the case, I guess I should keep them away from the windows at home as well.  Are they going to spontaneously combust?  Go blind?  Lose a limb?

I just fail to see the harm.  A friend of mine from high school wrote this in her status on Facebook:

"So we went out to eat for lunch and when we were walking out there was a car next to us that was on and a baby inside, no parents in site (sic). I stood there and watched and the mother came over check on the baby and went back to sit down to eat....without the baby.  My husband went to talk to him knowing the guy was Military and told him he wasn't leaving until they left or got the baby out of the car. Then the manager called the cops. WHO DOES THAT??????"

There were tons of comments like, "You saved that baby's life!" and "I hope they go to jail!"  Not one person stuck up for the parents and said, "The baby was probably sleeping and, if the car was locked, no harm done."  


So, educate me friends.  Apart from the media hype about babies dying in cars, what is the big deal?  Why can't I, as an intelligent and responsible parent (don't question this, just go with it), evaluate a situation and say, "My children are safe."  Why is it anyone else's business?  Why do people stake out other people's cars and call the cops?  

I welcome your comments.  I think.  I'm actually a little afraid.

7 comments:

Lisa C said...

I agree. I've run into a store and left my kids in the car when I can see the car through the window the whole time. I had no fears about the kids being safe, more that someone would react like your Facebook story. I do think that my son could decide to leave the car to try and find me and get lost. That would be my main concern. I definitely think its been blown out of proportion though.

NaDell said...

I just typed a huge comment for you and then it didn't publish right and deleted itself. Shoot!
Anyway, I agree with you.
I wish I could leave kids in the car and run into the library, post office, or school quickly, especially when they are asleep without worrying what some nosy person will think.
Lucky for me, Elizabeth is getting closer to the age she can supervise the other kids in the car. I'd better look up what age that is.
It's nice to just be able to crack the window and let kids rest a little.
Most of the kids who die in cars are left there by their parent who forgot they had a kid in the car. I don't know how you forget because my kids are never quiet enough to forget, but their kids must be really quiet. I talk to my kids in the car, so there's really no way to just forget. Most of those happen on their way to work and they forget to drop them off at their daycare. It's sad when that happens, but I think if a few more parents were prosecuted, it would happen less. They usually let them off the hook for killing their kid because they are grieving the kid they forgot about.
I like it when my kids are contained. It doesn't happen often enough around here. =)

Wende said...

I will sometimes just leave the boys in the car if I can see the kids through the window and the stop will be five minutes or less and I really do worry more about someone freaking out and calling the police than I do about the kids being taken. Eating in a restaurant while your kid is in the car - well, maybe you could get the meal to go? It did sound though like the parents had it under control.

Anna said...

I think not too long ago there was a story of a woman who left her son in the car while she ran into a convenient store. While she was inside someone tried to steal her car with her son in it. The details are vague in my mind, but I think he got hurt in an effort to get out of the car and back to his mom. I don't know. Google it. I often want to leave my kids while napping just to run up to the store on the corner but feel incredibly guilty about it and end up not doing it.

Amy said...

I have left my sleeping girls in the car for the two minutes it takes me to run Jack into preschool. And like Wende, my biggest concern is some passerby freaking out and calling the police.

Amanda said...

Just yesterday I needed to drop off a package at the UPS store and I turned off the car, left the kids inside, locked it and went inside for probably 30 seconds. I see no harm. I think weather permitting and if you can see your children it's totally fine to leave the kids in the car. Especially if they're asleep.

Allison said...

I'm TOTALLY in on THIS conversation....

LOSER! I'm guessing they don't have kids are need to loosen up MUCH.

Two years ago when my youngest was almost two. He fell asleep for a much needed nap while I went to print off Christmas cards. ... Uh... I left him fast asleep in a safe neighborhood for 30 min. Sorry, I'm worse than that mom.

I ran into the grocery store once to grab one thing when I had a 3 min window. As I was checking out a lady (who I soon learned was an active participant in our elementary school so I see her often) started talking to a manager saying, "There are two children outside in the car alone out there." I quickly checked out and walked up to her and said, "Are they okay?" - yes- "Are they still in the car?" - yes - "Good, just like I asked, they're mine, I'm a horrible mother. Thanks for the info!" And I ran out the door.

If we can't trust our neighbors, who can we trust? I don't do it as much any more. And please, no one call the cops on me. My kids are completely trust worthy and know not ever to get out of their seatbelts.