Thursday, May 8, 2008

Houston, We Have a Problem...

Adam is a great kid. He does new things everyday and is constantly surprising us with his creativity and ingenuity. Well yesterday he did something that, while amazing and quite funny, makes me think that he is really going to keep us on our toes.

We were outside and I was planting flowers in our flower boxes. Adam stayed nearby for most of the process but towards the end started heading toward the sidewalk and saying, "choo, choo". He's been obsessed with trains lately so I figured he just wanted to go on a walk and, since he'd been so good while I did the planting, I obliged him. He took off down the sidewalk and I just followed several feet behind him. All the time we're walking he's saying, "choo, choo". Along the way we saw a dog (another obsession) and he stopped to pet the dog, but after the dog walked on he went back to the sidewalk said, "choo, choo" and kept walking. By now I was starting to catch on and so I kept following thinking to myself, "no way".

We live about 3 blocks from the library and there is a back path from our neighborhood that avoids major streets. We take this path to the library at least 3-4 times a week. And that is exactly what Adam did. He walked the three blocks to the library, through the door, and right to the train table, without any direction or prompting from me.

The only thing I can say to assure you that I didn't prompt him is that I had no intention of going to the library. I was in my yard clothes and I hadn't showered...or brushed my teeth. Any of you who know me well know that I wouldn't willingly go into public that way.

Scott says we need to start locking the door. I say, if we ever can't find him, we've got a pretty good idea where to look.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

WOW-that is amazing!!!

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

I guess if he ever gets "lost" - to you, that is, not to him - just leave him alone and he'll come home, wagging his tail behind him. You have a VERY smart kid there. Good luck!

Deborah said...

It is better to have a child with a good sense of direction, than one who is always lost.

Henderson said...

April, that is crazy!! You sure have your hands full with that adorable boy. :)

Mary said...

He's a smart one...is it bad that I almost spelled 'smart' wrong?!

happy mom said...

well, now don't be looking at it as a problem, but yes lock the doors and windows, I know my place is like fort knox now, but even that doesn't seem to stop them, and I have to remind myself to be grateful that i have smart children. it's tough to remember that part.

Stephanie said...

Dorothy told me about this the other day...what a smart kid! I guess if he ever goes missing you'll know where to find him!