Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Trying Not to FREAK OUT!

Doesn't our boy have the most fabulous smile? He really is a good looking kid.

What? Does he look a little swollen? That's because he is!

He was running to give the statue of Curious George a hug at Strong Museum and tripped and face planted into George instead. He cut his lip in several places and pushed two of his teeth back. Scott brought him home and we called the pediatrician. We were told to take him to the dentist. The problem is that the pediatric dentist at our practice was out of the office for the day. So, we got the distinct privilege of going to the emergency pediatric dentist at the hospital. That's another whole experience.

They took X-rays and basically scarred my son so that he will never willingly go to the dentist. Three different dentists looked at him (traumatizing him each time) only to tell us that they disagree, but that the decision was to not pull the tooth (thank goodness). They told us that, best case, the teeth will resume their original position and heal fine or, worst case, his front tooth will "fail" and eventually discolor and/or fall out. So, is it vain to want to know if there is such a thing as cosmetic dentistry for kids? I can't imagine my child walking around for years without a front tooth. I've seen kids like that...and I totally judged their parents. So, try not to gasp, but this was what Adam looked like before bed:


The dentist warned us that he will probably look worse tomorrow. Oh, and he also said that Adam had "an impressive hematoma" (you can't see that it is dark purple and really swollen on the underside of his upper lip). So, when you see us out and about, don't judge me. My child brushes his teeth, I don't put him to bed with a bottle of juice, we're not white trash. We just look that way.

10 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Adam, cool look. Now you and Heidi can have more to talk about at the next party. http://laurieandscott.blogspot.com/2008/04/sharp-teeth.html

Lisa C said...

Yikes! How traumatic for him, but more especially YOU!

Emily said...

Oh my goodness....how sad. I really hope he doesn't get the black tooth like Melody did...we NEVER let her hear the end of that. I know you don't want Adam to live with that legacy too :)

Joanna said...

OUCH!! Poor guy! He still has a beautiful smile.

Stephanie said...

And yet HE'S still smiling!

Heather Jewell said...

Poor little guy! We saw him at the library tonight and he already looked much better, though.

Mary said...

I would say you did a great job of staying calm. Adam looks none the worse for the wear. It's a long story, but Kent has a front tooth that is 1/2 fake due to being shot out with an air soft gun. We were afraid of "tooth failure." So far so good. Keep the faith.

Anna said...

He looked fine today. One little bruise is all. That is one tough kid.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys have had a rough time as of late, but I'm sure it will get better....Keep the faith!

I love you!

Uncle Wade

Paul and Holly Domm said...

No, you're not being vain-I know I'd react the same way. All of a sudden you feel bad for judging other parents and can't help but worry they're thinking the same thing. Adam is so cute, and I'm sure it's barely noticable though. I also loved the pictures of him with baby Jane-they're really precious!