Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NYC

We left for NYC on Friday morning and got there late afternoon. By the time we parked the car and walked to the apartment (a long way when you're carrying your bag), it was evening. The apartment was a one-bedroom with two pull-out couches in the living room. Luckily, we brought an extra air mattress, because the beds were really small. Here is a view of the apartment (if you can see around my belly).

After getting settled into the apartment we went to Times Square to check things out. I've never been to NYC so it was nice to see. I prefer, however, the Central Park West area where our apartment was to staying in Times Square. I don't do well with chaos.


On Saturday we went to Chinatown. It's amazing the dark alleys and secret elevators one will follow strangers into when promised knock-off bags. I was pleasently surprised with my ability to barter and even more surprised at how well my pregnancy helped my case. Here is a picture of our haul (sorry, it posted sideways).


And here is the fall-out from Chinatown. We were all exhausted. I thought I was wearing pretty sensible shoes, but if I go to NYC pregnant again I'm going to buy the ugliest Dr. Scholl's I can find. Anything to avoid the feeling that cutting my feet off at the ankle would make me feel better.


The purpose of this trip was so that four of the ladies could run the Tunnel to Tower race. We went down to the WTC site on Saturday so they could check in and saw this guy who was constructing an intricate sand castle.


Here is what the finished product looked like on Sunday. Pretty impressive.


I just love this picture. We weren't posing. This is just how cool we are, naturally.

7 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Seriously, can I go next time? The fallout from Chinatown alone is enough to make me go across the country.

Anna said...

I like that picture too. We all look very comfortable to be in the city even though most the time we were clueless!

Amy said...

We really are that cool, April.

Joanna said...

we didn't get lost too many times so we are cool. Happy Birthday!

Deborah said...

I am so glad to see pictures of your trip as I have to live vicariously through you all.

nvandermeid said...

...and if I hadn't needed to stop for deoderant, that picture never would have happened. You have my stinky armpits to thank for that one.

happy mom said...

I love NYC, I had a blast when Brian and I went, it would be great to go with friends. You look so great!