Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm Practically Famous Now

So, I went to NYC this last weekend with a group of friends. We had a fabulous kid-free time, except Amy, who brought her nursing baby. But I think even Amy felt like she got a good break. Anyway, I have pictures to post, but I wanted to post some fun anecdotes before I forgot them. Here are my favorites from the trip:

#1
Our friend, Seleta, lived in NYC for a while and so she navigated while Mrs. Finkle drove into the city and to the parking garage we'd rented. Seleta had very specific instructions for Anna while we weaved our way through NYC traffic. My favorites were:

"Those pedestrians are crossing against the light, don't slow down, they don't matter."

When a little old lady crossed against the light and gave us a little wave, Seleta said, "Okay, slow down for her."

Many times a street was cut down to one lane because a car was double parked. Seleta's instructions were to never hesitate when going around these cars. This is basically a very scary game of "Chicken" with experienced NYC taxi drivers. When Anna got stopped because she couldn't get around a car because of oncoming traffic, Seleta said, "See, you hesitated."

#2
This story explains the title of this post. While walking from the apartment we rented to the subway we were passing an upscale apartment building when, at that very moment, none other than this stud walked out.

I don't want to brag, but we had a moment. There was eye contact and, I believe, a brief smile. So, in my calculation Matt Dillon possibly thought about me for 1/1, 000,000th of a second. I'm practically famous now.

#3
This last one happened on our way home. We were somewhere in central NY and we came to an exit that said, "Scott, 1 Mile".

Me: Look, Scott is in one mile!!
Joanna: We should stop and get a picture.
Me: No, we're already running late.

Then we came to the sign that said "Scott" with an arrow pointing to the exit.

Joanna: Are you sure you don't want to get off on Scott.
(pregnant pause followed by raucous laughter)
Joanna: That's not what I meant!

Sure Joanna, sure. Filthy, just filthy.

11 comments:

Deborah said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. Wish I could have been there with you.

Amy said...

I know that Matt (we're on a first name basis now) totally enjoyed our moment. It was a great trip and I really did feel like I got a break.

Amy said...

One more thing, he was way better looking in person.

Joanna said...

good times good times!! I am glad you wrote all these down.

Paul and Holly Domm said...

Sounds like you had so much fun! I wish I was in NY becoming tight with all of you, so that I could then get an invite to this very fun trip. I'm sure your image is cemented in Matt Dillons head, and he'll be recalling it numerous times a day!

Anna said...

At this very moment, I am sending this to Jodie. She will love it! The trip was so great!

Seleta said...

according to my NY Book it states "Driving in Manhattan is not for the timid, clueless, or otherwise emotionally fragile" I guess you all saw my true colors come out.

nvandermeid said...

It was definitely a fun trip! I'm really glad I went and got to know you all a little better!

nvandermeid said...

It was definitely a fun trip! I'm really glad I went and got to know you all a little better!

Mary said...

Ooohh...I'm jealous. I've been to NYC at least 5 times and have never seen anyone famous. I guess I'll just have to come next year.

happy mom said...

well at least she new the rules of driving and it sounds about right from what I saw!

and wow you are famous!