Sunday, October 25, 2009

Philly

We spent our last day, Friday, in Philadelphia.  It was a two hour drive and after we stopped twice for potty breaks in the first 10 minutes of the trip we had to make sure we really wanted to see Philadelphia.  We decided to go for it and we weren’t sorry.IMG_3941 

We didn’t waste any time and headed straight into downtown to try two different places who both claim to have the best philly cheesesteak.  

IMG_3940

It was a tough job, but the research must be done and we decided to buck up and do it. 

IMG_3942

We all agreed that Pat’s had the best cheesesteak, but Genos’ had better fries.

IMG_3943

I thought the sign to order was funny.  Even if you don’t use the philly accent when you order, they translate your order.  So I said, “I’ll have a cheesesteak with onions and provolone.”  Then the cashier called out my order as, “ One ‘wit’ and provolone”.

After the cheesesteaks we headed to Liberty Square to see the sites.

Liberty Bell:

IMG_3972

Benjamin Franklin’s Printing Press:

IMG_3979

Benjamin Franklin’s grave (they charge $2 to go in, we just looked through the gate):

IMG_3957

Independence Hall:

IMG_3990

And the big one, the thing all must do who travel to Philadelphia.

 

 

IKEA:

IMG_4019

There was brief discussion of ditching our car and buying a minivan right then and there to accommodate some purchases.  But frugality won out and we limited our purchases to what we could cram under our kids’ feet and between the car seats.  

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Cheese steaks, history and Ikea. Sounds like a blast. I think I need to make a trip out there sometime. You know... to see the sites!

Lisa C said...

So glad you decided on Pat's. Dan was raised on Pat's and won't even try Geno's. I did my own test and I'd have to agree with you about the steaks, although I've never tried Geno's fries. Something for next time. I think Pat's special ordering style and attitude is a pro too. The true Philly style.