Friday, September 4, 2009

"But, I Don't Want to be a Pirate!"

You need to know a couple things before I tell you this story.



First, Adam was born with a very small cataract. It's no big deal and doesn't give him any trouble. The only inconvenience is that we have to take him to the ophthalmologist every year to have it looked at and have his vision tested.

Second, Adam hates pirates. I took him to "Pete the Pirate" when he was at our local library and Adam was literally clinging to me. I have no explanation for this except that Adam doesn't like adults in costumes (Scott is excited that this gets us out of going to Disney World any time soon).

So, we went to the eye doctor today for his annual check-up. He was excited to sit in the chair. They had a computer screen on the wall where they displayed pictures of different sizes to test his vision. He did great and was very cooperative. Then they pulled out the eye patch so they could cover one eye and test each eye individually. The lady thought she was being so clever telling Adam that he "gets to be a pirate". As soon as she said "pirate" Adam's expression changed and I knew it was going downhill from there. She barely had the eye patch on when Adam burst into hysterical sobs and said, "I don't want to be a pirate!"

And that's when Scott and I lost it. We were laughing so hard we were crying. If you're a Seinfeld fan, you know why. If not, here's a clip (sorry about the spanish subtitles, that's all youtube had):





One other quick story about Adam. He didn't want to go to bed last night and kept sneaking out of his room. Dorothy walked up the stairs and saw him quickly slink around the corner. When she peeked around the corner and saw him he was crouched down looking at the floor and he said, "You don't see me."

Nice try with the Jedi mind trick Adam.

6 comments:

Sean Rigby said...

That is too funny. I always feel so bad when I am laughing hysterically at my kids. Especially, in public when I want people to know, I really am a good parent sometimes.

Heather Jewell said...

Sorry, that was actually me.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

That style is back. Maybe Adam could model it for Hoda and Kathie Lee.

Amy said...

"You Don't see me." That cracked me up.

Anna said...

Too funny. Poor boy - people are pushing him into the pirate profession.

kelly said...

hilar