Monday, June 16, 2008

Rabbit-proof Garden

I was at the public market last week and they were selling 6-pack vegetable plants for $1.75. I couldn't resist the urge to further domesticate myself. I knew, however, that we have a friendly neighborhood bunny living under our deck. This is my solution:


These are self-watering planters on a raised table. You just fill the reservoir underneath periodically and they stay well hydrated. My neighbor took pity on my pathetic gardening efforts and loaned them to me. The plants have already grown quite a bit and I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have completely disregarded the "suggested spacing" information. They're already looking a bit crowded. Oh well, survival of the fittest!

I'll post some more pictures at the end of summer when we're harvesting our delicious cherry tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. For our friends that live nearby, you may get more than just pictures:)

4 comments:

Deborah said...

What do you think will keep the rabbits away? The height of the box?

April said...

Yeah, is that naive? It's a good 3 feet off the ground with nothing for them to use to climb on. I didn't think rabbits were able to jump that high, unless they work in cooperation with the squirrels, then I could be in trouble...

Amy said...

Looks nummy.

Joanna said...

It looks great. You might be ok with what you planted. The rabbits always left all that alone in my garden. Although you might have to move your cucumbers they are a vine and grow and spread like crazy. They over took much of my stuff the year I planted them. It looks good. I love gardening!