Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Closest I’ll Ever Get to Black Friday

 

Last Thursday our county held the first of two planned H1N1 clinics.  The clinic didn’t start until 10am, but being the savvy person I am, I got there at 9:20.  Apparently Rochester is a savvy place, because the line was already around the building.  The icing on the cake was when it started to rain at 9:30.  It was so fun to stand in the freezing rain for an hour.  I thought it was interesting that the county held a flu clinic for all of their “high risk residents” and then had them all wait in the freezing rain.  Ugh.

IMG_4213

This is the pediatric line.

IMG_4214

After waiting for 2 hours, we finally made it to the waiting area, where we waited for another hour. IMG_4215  

Right as we made it to the front of the line a man came up, waving a hundred dollar bill, offering to pay it to anyone who would switch places in line with him.  I was very proud of my comrades in line that no one took him up on it.    Looking back, he really didn’t have a chance.  These were parents who waited for over three hours in the freezing rain to get their children inoculated; a hundred bucks just wasn’t gonna cut it.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

That happened here when Elizabeth was one in 2004. They had a three day shot clinic. We went on the second day and had to wait for five hours or something like that. Luckily, I was prepared with my bag 'o' snacks and toys for a one year old and she even shared with another kid close to us. We were all just relieved to get out of there! But then we were still so hungry, I had to stop at McDonalds (which may have been a bribe to get the shot. I don't remember.) At least we were inside for the last three hours.

Anna said...

Good times, good times. Why on earth we had to stand outside is totally beyond me.

Amanda said...

Bleh! When I went in for Ethan's 18 mo. check-up last week our Dr. just asked if we wanted it. I'm glad I didn't end up waiting in line!

Mary said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your dedication. Glad you got your shots.